From: Charlie Brady [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 4:41 PM
To: Brad Hards
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [e-smith-devinfo] A system update tool (was Re: Rough
development plan)

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Brad Hards wrote:

> We should think about infrastructure to provide easy access to updates
> - - perhaps we can resurrect the blades stuff from 5.6?

That's not an option to you. The "blades stuff" is Mitel proprietary,
and
in any case depends on infrastructure provided by ServiceLink.

As others have suggested, there are a number of existing tools which
manage package updates. I've found yum very easy to use.

One area where all these tools fall short is in ensuring that services
are
reconfigured and restarted when required (and only when required). But
you
don't currently have any automated support for that now anyway - the
safety first approach of:

# update all RPMs
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-update
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot

could still apply.

Mitel Networks Corporation      http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

Searchable archive at
http://www.mail-archive.com/devinfo%40lists.e-smith.org