On 10/30/2015 05:02 PM, .. ink .. wrote:
On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Guy <genl...@faert.net> wrote:

This leaves me with a strange feeling... can I rely on udisks2?
Probably not as you are not the target audience,look at "audience"
section in the following link
for more info: http://udisks.freedesktop.org/docs/latest/udisks.8.html

You can do all of these things yourself without udisks ridding
yourself of a dependency with
an unstable API.

You can get a list of partitions from parsing "/proc/partitions".

Let say you have a partition with a node address of "/dev/sda5", you can get
the starting offset of this partition by reading "/sys/block/sda/sda5/start" and
you can get the size of the partition by reading
"/sys/block/sda/sda5/size". Both
sizes are in sectors.

you can get pretty much everything you want by pocking around at
"/sys/block/" and you can
get a list of mounted volumes by parsing "/proc/self/mountinfo".
That's exactely what I didn't want to do: Fiddling a bit a everywhere until I have all the info. And fiddling again after some updates...

I am not the target audience? Wrong! It looks as if I am *no longer* the target audience, because in udisks I was! udisks2 breaks with the elementary code of conduct, that a newer version must support previous ones.

Is it really that difficult to produce a list of {Vendor, Model, Serial number, Size, Linux-device and Sector-size}?
Is it really that exotic to ask for this?

My conclusion: udisks2 serves as an example of how it should not be done!
rm -rf udisks2

To you mhogomchungu, many thanks for your answer! Just as you suggested, I will have to look for another way. If I find one that pleases me I'll post it here.