> are we going to have a catalog of indexes?

I don't think that would be very useful. My usage model for the indexes
has two parts. First, there will be well-known indices for submission.
Your client will submit your key plus metadata to any relevant indices
(relevance will be determined by the content of the metadata). Second,
there will be user-operated indices. They will troll the well-known
indices for submissions, categorize, filter, and rate them, and then put
them into another index.

The well-known indices will be agreed upon by client writers. The
user-operated indices will be found the same way that web sites are found,
from people recommending them.

All of this will be transparent to the user, who will have an interface to
search on various metadata fields or to search a particular index which
they've heard about.

> BTW, I'd be MORE than happy to implement the hashed-key search code.  Unless
> the existing Freenet code is pretty hairy, it shouldn't very long.

If you want to then go ahead. I'd be interested to see what you come up
with. Unless it can't be done totally client-side and requires actual
changes to the node, in which case don't waste your time coding things
until you convince Oskar that your code should go in the node.