On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 03:11:29AM +0200, Oskar Sandberg wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 05:47:15PM -0700, Ian Clarke wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 05:29:15PM -0700, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > > increase default storeSize to 256MB. The reason for this is that 200MB
> > > cannot actually cache a 1MB file after you take into account fields
> > > etc which are added to the file in storage. Change/add some
> > > descriptions.
> >
> > I am pretty uncomfortable at the idea that Freenet won't work with files
> > above a certain size. It is likely that there are many people who blame
> > Freenet for not storing their 4 meg file.  This effective file-size
> > limit is not common knowledge.
>
> Will they notice with FEC encoding kicking in by default?
Even better: the FEC encoder currently uses 256kB chunks for everything.
The plan for 0.5.1 is to make it use 256kB chunks up to 16MB, 512kB
chunks up to 64MB and 1MB chunks after that. This is why we need the
default store size to be able to handle 1MB files, amongst other
reasons.

> I think a lot of nodes will have stores larger than one gig anyways.
Yup. We don't know what "a lot" means though :)

--
Matthew Toseland
Freenet/Coldstore open source hacker.