Oskar Sandberg wrote:
| On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:53:45AM -0500, Gianni Johansson wrote:
|
|>The new load balancing code is a very good thing indeed, but I doubt
it will
|>save individual nodes from massive overload.

It didn't save me..

|>Has anyone conclusively figured out the CPU usage issue?
|

| I had high CPU usage yesterday when the node was overloaded, but nothing
| to indicate runaway 100% usage. The dump you sent me didn't contain any
| giveaways either.

I think I had 3 threads which used more cpu than the average. They used
together about 30% of my CPU (~300 MHz) and that was 300% more than
other freenet threads. CPU usage was constant so I suppose it was what
you were looking for. I was using qthreads at the time.

Unfortunately I didn't check from diagnostics where these threads were
used (maybe I couldn't have identified them from there anyway so it's
probably not a big loss). After that I switched back to 500 series.

|>I suspect that there might have been a regression somewhere between
600 and
|>603, however, it is impossible to test on the public network under the
|>present conditions.

Its even impossible to use it for anything right now. I guess the
network got many many new _transient_ nodes after the release of 0.5 and
this put the net on to its knees.

This means every nontransient node got a lot more work to do. It didn't
help at all that nontransient node keepers stopped their node at the
time since CPU usage just went skyhigh and they couldn't use their
computer any more. It just caused more load to other nodes.

Node refs dropped from 80 to 40 yesterday and it has slowly climbed to
current 50 (of which 30 are constantly backed off)

Many of them, who tried freenet, are left now again but my node keeps
still pushing at its limits:

*  localRequestsPerHour: 27435.0

|>Finally what about rate limiting Announcement requests?  Aren't
announcements
|>quite expensive for the node to process?
|

| It's probably not that significant.

I remember having about 13 threads at maximum dedicated to announcements
according to environment information yesterday. Currently my overloaded
node has the following thread usage (configured total: 200):

Total pooled threads 229
Available pooled threads 33
Pooled threads in use 196

freenet.node.states.announcement.NoReply 4
freenet.node.states.data.DataStateInitiator 1
freenet.node.states.announcement.NoExecute 2
freenet.interfaces.LocalInterface$ConnectionShell 1
freenet.Message: NodeAnnouncement 2
freenet.interfaces.PublicInterface$ConnectionShell 116
freenet.OpenConnectionManager$ConnectionJob 51
freenet.Message: QueryRestarted 5
freenet.Message: DataRequest 6
freenet.Message: QueryRejected 8