On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 08:58:56PM -0500, Ed Tomlinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As report previously the outbound stats show that connections to
> named sites are always failing.  No mater how you look at it its
> a bug.  I see the following
>
> 1. Its a bug in collecting the stats
> 2. Connections to named sites is really failing
> 3. Connections to named sites works but we record and error maybe
>    decrementing the HTL...
>
> Some things to note.  A dig on donadona.dyndns.org turns up 219.117.201.240
> which is in the list...  Looking for 127.0.0.1 (localhost) finds it in the
> list too...  What is "void/(void)" also in the list.

My node has connected successfully to that node 6754 times since it last
restarted. It's either you or those silly stats (I'm looking at the
routing table).

"void/(void)" is a token used to say that a node has no physical
address. Replies to such nodes can only go via open connections to them
(I think there is some legacy code which leaves the address completely
unset in transient nodes if it fails to read ipAddress.) There is no
reason to get all worked about failed connection attempts to them -
calling the connect() method on a Void address always throws a
ConnectFailedException right away - it is much nicer design then having
a special case conditional before calling the method.

> What is happening here?  I hope we are not wasting hops; though, if we are,
> it might explain some DNFs.

We never waste hops on failed connections.

<>
--

Oskar Sandberg