On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 08:22:46AM -0800, Tyler Riddle wrote:
> Ugh, I really hate personal attacks (as they make my
> argument look weak) so I'll temper that with real
> world examples of why you are wrong as well.
>
> First of all, I have seen you make some completley
> hairbrain assumptions on this list in the past
> (personaly, your hit/miss ratio with me is about 1/5)
> and I am definitly going to call this one hairbrain to
> the tune of 100%.

If you are aware that personal attacks make you look dumb, then why the
hell go straight into one? Edgar has been around here a lot longer than
you have, and while everybody is wrong some of time, he has a lot more
credibility too. If you can't deal with having your ideas shot down then
STFU already.

<>
> Assuming that my internet connection is failing when I
> get RNF is retarded. Do you honestly expect that
> someone who can atleast code a little java is not able
> to detect the difference between a working internet
> connection and a broken one? I allmost feel insulted,
> or atleast I would if I did not consider you an
> allmost total retard. I assure you that when I get RNF
> my internet connection is working as I get messages to
> the tune of

Regardless of whether it is your Internet connection or not, and RNF is
an error condition that SHOULD NOT happen in practice when using
freenet. As it is, it does happen. We need to find out what the cause is
- maybe too many nodes are overloaded, maybe something is going wrong
inside your node, maybe we are just lousy coders, maybe it is something
else. Can you explain which problem that causes RNFs flooding the
network with requests is going to solve?

You say that with the repeating request code, if you go to bed at night
and leave it running, it will find the data. Well, the network is not
very large at the moment, by most guesses smaller than a thousand
permanent nodes. It doesn't take a genius to see that your long night of
hammering away at the network probably managed to get your query to hit
every single permanent node. Querying every single node will make you
find the data! Why on earth didn't we think of that!!

If you have a network of 1000 nodes and routing is not working, then you
can solve that by flooding. If you have a network of 100,000 nodes and
routing is not working, then good luck trying to flood them all. If
this network is to have any future, we need the routing to work. Short
sighted patches to work around the symptoms of it failing by abandoning
our goals are not the right way forward.

Get a clue before you start flaming.

--

Oskar Sandberg