> The installation had a few hitches.  The first thing I noticed was that
> the installer, upon not finding a JRE installed, commenced with download
> and installation of Sun's JRE.  For one thing, it's not entirely correct
> that I don't have a JRE.  It's understandable that the installer couldn't
> find it, though (due to my particular setup).  This would be no big deal
> except that I'm not given the option to skip the installation of the Sun
> JRE.

If the installer cannot find the JRE, then freenet will not run.  It's that
simple.  One line in particular in flaunch.ini is the path to your JRE.
Installer can't find it, flaunch.ini doesn't get populated, freenet doesn't
launch.
I admit that the installer is still not perfect, but it works.  In your
particular case you have a tricky setup, something that perhaps wasn't
anticipated by the install script developers.
The issues are therefore:
1.  What is so different about your setup that the installer cannot find the
JRE?
2.  What is wrong with the installer that prevents it from correctly finding
any valid JRE?

Perhaps you could answer 1. with a few quick steps that could be used to
successfully determine the location and 'make and model' of your particular
JRE.