Hi (CCed to the gcj mailinglist),

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 02:53, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 08:31:32PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > 20:12  greycat> is nio going to be mandatory in 0.5.2?  this is going
> >                 to screw kaffe users....
> > 20:13  toad_> greycat: yes. kaffe users can fix the bugs.
>
> This raises an important issue, it is the balance between our desire to
> keep Freenet runnable on free/open source JVMs, without holding
> ourselves hostage to their bug-fixing schedule.
>
> Personally, I think that we should make a good-faith effort to stick to
> APIs for which Open Source implementations are available, but if those
> OS implementations are buggy (ie. they fail to meet their API-contracts)
> then that isn't our problem, it is theirs, and people need to direct
> their complaints to them, not us.
>
> Now, there needs to be pragmatism here too - if the nature of this bug
> means that nobody can easily get Freenet working, ie. a bug in all
> widely used JVMs (ie. Sun's, IBM's, and Kaffe's) then we can't ignore
> that.

Note to the gcj hackers. I recently used the work of Tiernan Hubble on
the Makefile.gcj to get a native freenet executable (fred) from the java
sources with gcj 3.3 (gcj 3.3 was released a few weeks ago). But the
executable didn't seem to work that well. Sadly I didn't have time to
follow up on this.

Michael Koch has been working on java.nio for Classpath/libgcj but that
work is not finished yet. And testing it will not be easy if the
other/previous freenet things do not work. What parts of nio does
freenet need?

If some gcj hackers have some time to try to tackle this that would be
very nice since Freenet seems like one of those important Free Software,
Free Society type of things we really want to have running on a Free
System!

more info.

Cheers,

Mark