>> Frankly, these changes make it feel like Windows. Perhaps we could have
>> 'newbie'/'advanced' modes, or just say 'you don't need to know what this
>> means'.
>
>I think it is the intention to have two modes.

I'd vote against different modes - from a human interface viewpoint it's bad for understanding. You just get used to seeing certain messages and you think you know what's going on when you discover the advanced mode. You turn it on, then you have to go through the learning process all over again associating the new messages with the old understanding.

Instead, I'd suggest a "keep reading for more information" set of messages - the first part of the message describes in simple terms what sort of problem has happened together with what your options are. The next paragraph then gives a more detailed explanation of the error for experts.

For example, the DNF error could be:

Data not found: [EMAIL PROTECTED]/bar//
The key you requested could not be found at this time. Try again later or leave this window open to have Freenet keep trying to retrieve the key.
Details:
Hops-to-live (max 25): [19] Retry

Well that's my 2c worth, anyway.
-Kevin