Currently the "Update Snapshot" link on Windows doesn't keep backups -
although it does detect errors during the install and never overwrites any
files unless ALL files download correctly (files are downloaded to temp
and then copied).
But I like the idea of keeping an archive of configurations - maybe just
the last three or so - comprising freenet.exe, NodeConfig.exe,
freenet.jar, freenet-ext.jar, freenet.ini and flaunch.ini.
I'll try and add that functionality to freenet-webinstall when I get a
moment (dunno when that can be though)