Could someone explain exactly what --update [--silent] is supposed to do?

I gave it a try on the crap that NodeConfig outputs natively, and the result
was completely unchanged - even preserving the "[ Node Config ]" section
header.

I also tried it on a manually-produced ini file that contained the line
    %clientPort=8451
and it left that unchanged too (kinda figured it shoulda change it to
%clientPort=8481)

Which leaves me wondering, what *does* it actually do?

Here's what I thought it would do:
1.  update defaults to the 'latest' defaults
2.  remove lines that are no longer recognised by the node (or perhaps move
them into an 'unrecognised' section)
3.  format the file to look as-near-as-dammit identical to what just
"freenet.config.Setup --silent" would do.

Clues please.