I just couldn't reserve comment any longer:

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:32:03 -0700 Toad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:30:11AM +0100, Pete wrote:
>> Erm toad didn't you like say to Reskill that you wouldn't be able
>> test freenet without letting it run in the wild? How is having
>> separate test network that isn't backwardly compatible with the
>current
>> network then forcing a network wide upgrade any different to reverting
>> stable to build 692, with it's own protocol, to keep it from talking
>> the unstable branch and giving USERS, those people who support
>the
>> network with payments, a useable network?
>>
>> Just wondering....
>
>By many reports even the stable branch is working. Today we had
>a new
>user - within minutes of startup, on 5028, he had two front page
>images...

Oh toad :P 10/10, I never knew you were an MP? Question excellently avoided
:P

>> Pete
>
>--
>Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Freenet Project Official Codemonkey - http://freenetproject.org/
>ICTHUS - Nothing is impossible. Our Boss says so.

I do however absolutely agree with your initial suggestion that it is
time to move unstable to a "reset" network. I'm sure we'll get enough
machines on there for you to do some proper testing, so hopefully when
stable is upgraded to this network all will appear as if seen through
rose tinted spectacles. If multiplexing creates the ideal scenario for
this reset, then so be it. I'm sure multiplexing will be just lovely.

I still firmly believe that without network segregation and a proper
transparent testing procedure, we open ourselves up to the same network
"crash" we have experienced lately. It is, however, painfully obvious
that no development compromises will be made at this time, which I respect.

<resists urge to make comments about the projects leadership> - they
will no doubt make my flog.

Pete: "Sorry toad, Only trying to keep Reskill from screaming about it
when he reads this thread ;)" - It has taken some holding back I admit,
 but thanks for asking the question above Pete, even if it didn't get
answered :P

Happy coding,
--Reskill