At 16/10/2003 16:33, you wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 01:21:55AM +1000, fish wrote:
>connection
>> >
>> > They would not be able to make queries. Their network topology forces
>> > them to be freeloaders, and we should treat them as such. Or so the
>> > argument goes.
>>
>> As one of the users who is stuck in this situation, I'm sure everyone
>> understands why I view that argument with a small amount of hostility,
>> right?
>>
>> [hostile statement removed upon reconsideration. To sum it up in a
>> non-hostile fashion, while I understand that drastic measures may be
>> nessesary to fix the routing issues that freenet is currently experiencing,
>> do you seriously believe that throwing off everyone with shitty connectivity
>> is the solution? I'll accept it if this is seriously believed, right, but
>> i'm sure everyone understands that I don't really wish to be thrown off
>> freenet, despite the voices in my head sometimes telling me otherwise :-p]
>>
>> -- jj
>
>I don't know. I do know that one powerful attack on Freenet would be to
>distribute the One True Killer App (after Freenet has gotten reasonably
>fast, reliable etc), with a built in but purely transient node. If it
>got popular freenet would quickly disappear under what amounted to a
>massive DDoS. I believe it is possible to circumvent firewalls that only
>allow outbound connections, as I have explained elsewhere. It's a
>question of what priority do we give to it at this stage? Also, we can't
>do it before multiplexing anyway for various reasons.

How about limiting freeloaders to some percentage of our outbound bandwidth? (Or, once we have multiplexing, to some configurable percentage of our total number of connections.) I don't want to support freeloaders, but I think it's important that access to information in Freenet is available even to those unable to contribute.

-Kevin