On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 06:38:56PM -0500, Nick Tarleton wrote:
> A, the evil inserter, spews inserts of 1MB keys randomly to some nodes, at HTL
> 25. Z, the evil requestor, requests these keys from some other nodes at HTL
> 25. The data goes from A along random paths, sits there, and eventually
> returns to Z along random paths.
> Obviously, path shortening on insertion doesn't work. Path shortening on
> request will help, but won't save you. And the network doesn't know that keys
> from A will always be requested by Z, and these keys are randomly distributed
> throughout the keyspace.
> So, how does this 'convergence' happen, if at all?

Through path shortening. Nodes give other nodes the reference they
routed to, or the reference they would have routed to, or the reference
that gave them the data, or sometimes their own reference, in the
StoreData message. The node then adds a reference to that node with that
key. In the new routing it is basically the same - it creates a new
estimator specialized in that key.

> > > 3. Recently, I saw a message about how NGR will know whether to go to a
> > > fast, unreliable or a slow, reliable node. Is this some complicated
> > > result of the estimators?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > How does it know which to go to for a given key?
> >
> > Please make sure you've read this:
> > http://www.freenetproject.org/index.php?page=ngrouting
>
> Makes sense. But this message (which I'm afraid I don't remember) implied that
> it will know whether to go to a fast, unreliable or slow, reliable node for
> any given key. Since this isn't based on keyspace position, this can't
> happen, right?

It balances them using a formula for the time to request a key
successfully including rerequests on failure. It keeps estimators
designed to estimate the chance of failure, the time taken to transfer
the data and so on, many of which are 2 dimensional, taking the key as a
parameter.

--
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]