On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:45:25AM +0000, Toad spake thusly:
> That is not a solution. Frost works, somebody would reimplement it, we
> have no enforcement capability against them, and if frost died now
> somebody would reintroduce it post 1.0 and mess up a network adapted to
> no Frost. We need to make Freenet work WITH Frost.

Indeed, someone would reimplement it. If we actually did want to do it we
would kill KSK's and frost would die as a result. We already tell people
KSK's are insecure and they hurt the network etc. They really don't have a
whole lot going for them. Although I agree we do need frost or something
that provides the same sort of functionality

> > Freenet is still has a long way to go to get away from alchemy. It's as if
> > there is no scientific process. The above is a good example. Regarding the
> > major routing bugs that were found: Wouldn't some basic sanity checking
> > have caught those? I suggested breaking out some of the methods in the
> > routing table and providing some inputs and checking that sane outputs
> > were produced and he seemed to scoff.
>
> Not necessarily, how do you test routing?

The logic was backwards in the first major NGR bug. Wouldn't this have
been revealed by plugging some values into the function/method in question
and observing the results?

> > Reskill made a good point also: The 692 network DID perform better than
> > the unstable network when the unstable network had just as few nodes. We
> > found this out when unstable forked into its own network. Looks like the
> > theory that any build would work well with so few nodes was incorrect too.
>
> That was because of the anti-NGR bug.

Indeed. But it doesn't change the fact that he was right. :) He formed the
692 network precisely because of these sort of bugs. Fortunately 692 seems
to have gone away and the main freenet network is showing signs of
improvement except from routing.

--
Tracy Reed
http://copilotconsulting.com