[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I have tinkered with Freenet rpms, but the problem is how to detect the various JREs (Kaffe, Sun, Blackdown, IBM etc) so that other package management tools (like apt-rpm) wouldn't unnecessarily install a JRE.

Ideally we'll just look for >= jre-1.4.1 and if the user has installed the jre

It's not that easy, even with just Sun's packages. What if the user already has the SDK installed (which contains a working JRE)? One solution might be wrapper packages. Each package would require a specific version of the JRE or SDK, satisfy the java requirement (Provides: java) and contain some symlinks that would point from $bindir to the JRE/SDK's bin directory.

The real problem is how to set up the installation in an uniform way. Putting
everything in one directory as under windoze doesn't work; how about the
following default placement for *nix:

freenet.conf -> /etc/

start-freenet.sh, stop-freenet.sh -> $bindir

How about a sysV-style init script?

freenet.jar, freenet-ext.jar -> $libdir
seednodes.ref, store, all routing-related files -> $opt/freenet

How about %{_var]/spool/fred?

--
 Mika Hirvonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 http://nightwatch.mine.nu/