On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 03:58:44AM +0000, Toad wrote:
> Thus the requesting node would not have a convincing case that we had
> the data in our store before they asked. Now, the question is, how
> important is our plausible deniability with respect to whether content
> was in our store before the request came in? Parts of freenet are
> designed to help this - for example the probabilistically not
> decrementing hops to live when HTL is low; but there are several ways to
> get around all these protections - requests at HTL 0 with timing
> information, announcements at HTL 0, and so on. If it is important, it
> may be possible to do something about it; if it is not, that may also
> make things easier. So, is it important?

I suggest that with premix routing and a transient client-level cache,
determining whether something is in the local datastore is not a big
deal, because the store is only doing it's job as part of the cache. Is
this reasonable? In which case although it doesn't have direct
consequences for routing, it could have other consequences, for example,
once a node is announced, it could ask other nodes for data to fill its
store with near its initial announcement key - an extension of the
initial request system we have now, where an announcement includes a few
keys from each node in the announcement chain, near to the announcement
point, to get the new node started, but we would extend it so that
instead of starting with a few keys it starts with as many as it wants.
Of course there are load issues and so on to be resolved in this (it
could be a low priority request) - but the most obvious thing is that it
would make datastore probing easy, even if implemented with a request
terminate probability rather than an HTL; but if datastore probing
doesn't matter, then this is fine.
--
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]