On Tue, 11/11/03 at 00:44:38 +0000, Ian Clarke wrote:
> Brandon Low wrote:
> > Freenet
> >doesn't work this way, watch this:
> >
> >Node A wants something from Node B.
> >A sends a request to B
> >A replies and says "wait X"
> >B says to itself "OK, I'll wait X"
>
> No, A sends a request to B.  B eventually send a response which, along
> with the data, or a QR, or a DNF, tells A that it should wait at least X
> milliseconds before sending ITS NEXT request.

Absolutely NOT, if node A waits for it's next request until it gets a
response to it's first request, we have just gone to a protocol with
worse problems than TCP w/o tcp transmit windows.  This would cause
nodes like mine or ther other big nodes to snail down to a pace where
the latency of the network would discourage ME from using it.

--B