On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 12:45:59AM +0000, Toad wrote:
> > > QueryRejected.java:

> > This paragraph is confusing and poorly worded; a better way of saying
> > what was intended is:
> >
> > * This message is sent by a node that cannot continue the request for
> > * a piece of data.  If recieved by a node, it should send another
> > * request to find the data or (if it doesn't have anywhere else to
> > * request from) QueryReject itself.
>
> Unless the HTL reaches 0 from all the decrements, in which case it will
> DNF. Hrrrrrm. Does this mean that we need to use the HTL value returned
> from a QueryRejected after all?
>
> Request comes into a node.
> Node routes to 10 nodes, all of which QR.
> The rest of the RT is backed off.
> Node QR's.
> Previous node sees the QR and only reduces HTL by 1.
>
> We used to use the HTL value on the QR. I took it out because I didn't
> see any reason for it..

I do now. However, it is a way that a node could hurt the network
without being proportionately punished for it in the estimators - if I
reinstate it, then nodes that QR with HTL 0, killing the request, will be
treated the same as nodes that QR at any other HTL. This seems very bad.
--
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]