On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 01:55:20PM +0000, Ian Clarke wrote:
> Ok, the new stable build seems to be working quite well, are other
> people experiencing the same thing?
>
> We need to take stock of the situation with NGR.  I think one problem
> has been a willingness to dream up solutions, and implement them, before
> actually understanding what the problem is.
>
> I would like to propose that now that the time-pressure is off, we try
> to be more cautious - we need to form theories about what the problem
> is, figure out how to test these theories, and if they prove true,
> *then* we implement a solution.
>
> One thing that is important is simply to figure out how accurate NGR's
> estimates actually are, and whether their estimates are statistically
> significant.  Also, understanding which parts of the NGR estimate
> calculation have the most bearing on the routing decision.

With the exception of the estimators for success search time and
transfer rate, (which themselves have initial bias which will bias
figures in a high RT churn network), we can't tell anything about it,
because the NGR formula is only the estimated value, and includes a good
deal of alchemy.

> Thoughts?
>
> Ian.

Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]