On Thursday 15 September 2005 07:21, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 08:44:44PM -0400, Ed Tomlinson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 September 2005 17:08, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to talk to them. I am told that there is much going on on the
> > > Frost boards, and we have seen some new apps e.g. pm4pigs, but people
> > > seem to avoid talking directly to us for some reason.. probably this
> > > would be helped by working freemail integrated into the lists, some sort
> > > of CVS replacement that works over freenet, etc.
> >
> > Take a look at git.  Its file store is immutable and its all open source.
> > IMHO
> > cvs is g*****e.  Something like git should be easily adaptable to freenet
> > and
> > makes a better source control system to boot.
>
> Preferable to arch? We would obviously want something where everyone has
> a full copy of the repository, if possible...

When the Linux kernel switched to git lots of performance testing was done.
With
large projects the existing systems were just too slow.  Some have improved
since but
git has just got faster...

The major problem with git from a freenet pov is that it is unix only so far.
There is
Mercurial (http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi) which was started at
the same time as git with the same goals.  There is a windows version and it is
being
used by the Xen project.  From what I understand its storage model is not quite
as
freenet friendly as (unpacked) git.  Either of these managers would make
distributed
development easier.

Ed