On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 00:23:20 +0100, Matthew Toseland wrote:

> 1. Most people who reach the downloads page apparently don't download the
> installer.
> - Is there a technical problem?
> - Is it simply that the installer is cached by web proxies?

No, the reason is most likely the "Important note to first time users",
which states that you have to go to a lot of extra hassle after installing
to get this thing to actually work. I know it stopped me from joining for
a long time, and I'd used the previous iterations of Freenet. I'd never
gone to the hassle for a new, unknown program.

> 2. A lot of people are downloading Freenet 0.7
>
> 3. Very few of them are seeking references on #freenet-refs. - Link to
> some IRC clients? Many people don't know what IRC is! - Opennet?

Maybe you could put a Java applet IRC client right into the page ? This
would need IRC server or an IRC proxy on freenetproject.org, since AFAIK
applets can't connect to any server besides the one they were loaded
from... Or maybe some kind of messageboard for exchanging refs.