On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 11:27:50AM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> One more question: DDA makes most sense when I want to PUT (write)
> files from a read-only medium like a CD. But with the current TestDDA
> implementation I would not any longer be able to PUT files from a CD
> using DDA (because the client cannot write the file to the requested
> directory), true? I have to transfer all big files using DIRECT to the
> node...

This is also a usability feature: The user should not have to tell the
client whether to use DDA, it should just use it if it is detected that
*for that specific directory* there is a shared filesystem.

However, we do need a way to do this with a reasonable level of local
security. In other words, the client must prove to the node that it has
access to the file in question. However the benefit is that we
unambiguously know that the client does have access; this will avoid
wierd bugs with wierd setups, as well as security issues.

For a CD-ROM I would argue that DDA doesn't make much sense because it
is a removable medium: by the time the node gets around to inserting it
the CD-ROM will probably be gone!