On Thursday 20 March 2008 23:55, Arthur Randolph wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> Here is a draft of my proposal for Freenet. A PDF version is available at :
> <http://www.milliways.fr/tmp/freenet.pdf>
>
> Greetings
>
> Obey Arthur Liu
>
> ====
>
> Application for Summer of Code 2008 : Linux packaging for Freenet
> Obey Arthur Liu
> March 2008
>
> *Abstract*
> I will extend the current automated release infrastructure to produce
> Freenet packages for major Linux distributions, including Debian-based
> and RPM-based flavors. This would simplify the installation process and
> open Freenet to a wider audience.
>
> *Project*
>
> My efforts will separated in four parts. Those steps are closely linked
> together.
>
> In order to be able to build deb or rpm packages, Freenet needs to be
> fully buildable from only source files or source files available in
> other packages. The current build model ships some dependencies (in
> freenet-ext.jar) in bytecode or binary form. In order to make packages
> that can be accepted into official archives, these will need to be
> converted to native dependencies according to packages present in each
> Linux distributions. This will also simplify the access to multiple
> architectures.

This will probably involve packaging the wrapper etc; most of them probably
aren't packaged. Also we may need to be careful with versions. Lots of
projects include the source for specific versions of their dependancies and
use them if the local installed version is insufficient.

> Once the building process is worked out, I will work on the packages
> themselves to improve the integration of Freenet in Linux distributions.
> These include among others the ability for Freenet to work in a
> multiuser environment, better control of interaction with other
> applications (Firefox, Gnome, KDE ...), better integration with the
> system as a daemon...
>
> Once the packages are worked out, I will implement a reasonable way to
> have Freenet update itself in a timely manner. As some updates break
> compatibility and need to be applied in a matter of hours, it is a very
> specific challenge to have it work in the frameworks and policies of
> each distributions. Various solutions ranging from a auto-updating
> packages to bypassing official distribution repositories are available.
> These will be studied and viable adaptations to Freenet may be proposed
> to attain this target.

Update Over Mandatory just updates the main jar, this is normally all that is
needed...

<http://ensimag.grenoble-inp.fr/servlet/com.univ.utils.LectureFichierJoint?CODE=1194595034529&LANGUE=0>