On Wednesday 26 March 2008 03:16, Florent Daignière wrote:
> * Matthew Toseland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-03-25 20:36:43]:
>
> > Okay, having investigated this, I'm fairly confident of the current
theory:
> > - If a copy of Firefox is already running with the default profile, and we
> > launch a copy with our profile (-no-remote -P <profile name>), everything
> > works fine (as long as our copy exits before the default one does).
>
> That's how things are supposed to do. How did the user download the
> installer if not with a browser ?
>
> > - The default Firefox obviously doesn't have the -no-remote command line
> > option. We do.
> > - If the default profile is NOT running when we load our copy of firefox
with
> > our custom profile, when the link to firefox is clicked on, it coalesces
with
> > our copy and opens a new window using our profile and not the default
> > profile. Therefore, it appears that the user's firefox has been damaged
and
> > we've deleted all their bookmarks etc etc.
> >
> > You can replicate this easily enough: create a custom theme (e.g. by
> > installing freenet), exit all copies of firefox, launch one
> > with "firefox -no-remote -P <profile name>", then launch a second copy
with
> > just "firefox". The second will assume it is supposed to be an extra
window
> > for the first, and will use the custom profile, not the default profile.
If
> > however you exit the custom profile first, the second instance will use
the
> > default profile.
> >
> > As far as I can see, we have three options:
> > 1. Don't ship a custom firefox theme. Ask users to tweak their firefox
theme
> > for better freenet performance, knowing full well that it is a security
risk
> > and a waste of bandwidth when accessing the regular web. Anyway, nobody
will
> > even if we DO ask them to: people are lazy, and it involves somewhat
arcane
> > config setting.
>
> That's what we had been doing for ages...

Yes and it is therefore the default option. However it results in a very poor
first time user experience, because of few connections, and therefore is bad.

> > 2. Ship a copy of Portable Firefox (~ 6MB), or some other self contained
> > browser. Find some way to auto-update it.
>
> Needless to say that it's a fair amount of work and YetAnotherSource
> of bugs. By the way there is no way I can do it before 0.7-rc1.

Because of auto-updating, and needing to provide something similar on linux?

> > 3. Give up and hope people will realise that opening 10 freesites in
separate
> > tabs and then trying to get to the stats page isn't a good idea. No, they
> > won't realise this, they'll assume Freenet is broken - our own regular
users
> > do this on the IRC channel.
>
> Even Ian did not long ago :)

Exactly. This is why #1 sucks!

> > Anyone got any better ideas?
>
> 4. We could force-start a "normal browser" before starting the custom
> profile up...

But if the user closes it, and then tries to reopen it using the icon, it
won't work.

> 5. We could develop some FF extension to do things within the already
> existing profile (à la torbutton)

Most likely this is the only realistic option. And it means using freenet:
url's, a proposal that Ian has rejected over and over again.