* Ian Clarke <ian.cla...@gmail.com> [2008-12-15 14:35:19]:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Matthew Toseland
> <t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > Nextgens would certainly object to running Microsoft provided binaries on
> > emu,
> > and I can see his point.
>
> ...which is?

As explained for the Nth+1 time:

Four main reasons:
        - a legal one: We aren't allowed to
        - a technical one: They are other ways of achieving the exact
 same level of "functionality" (signing and distributing a signed
windows installers)
        - a security one: we should *NOT* store the signing keys of the
installer on emu
        - a lazyness related one: M$' code is not open source: we can't
 easily review it and "sandboxing" it properly (to ensure it doesn't do
anything we don't want it to - I don't trust Microsoft either) involves
 a lot of work I am not willing to do... Especially because
 alternatives are available.

> We're the Freenet Project, not the "anti-Microsoft" project.

How is that even remotely relevant here?

>  If using some Microsoft code helps us to offer a better piece of software to
> our users then why wouldn't we?

You are not *reading* what is written: as said toad: I object to running
Microsoft provided binaries on *emu*. I have no objection to anyone
using whatever piece of software they deem appropriate on their machine.