* Matthew Toseland <t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> [2008-12-13 19:20:21]:

> On Saturday 13 December 2008 18:57, Florent Daignière wrote:
> > * Matthew Toseland <t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> [2008-12-13 18:01:03]:

> the

> If
> > > emu is
> the
> how to
> > > still
> > > compromised.
> that
> > > reliable

> risk
> > >
> > > AND new nodes. But okay.
> >
> > No, installers shouldn't ship emu's bytecode either.
>
> They should bundle locally-built bytecode then?

Yes. It's the signer's responsibility to ensure that the produced
bytecode he is signing is "good".

> And we'd just use emu for update.sh testing?

Yes... and catastrophic manual updates, shall the auto-updater be
broken.

> Or do we need yet another key, this one automated, to
> auto-build the jars off emu and then upload them to emu?

No; that wouldn't be a good idea imo.

> > > binaries,

> > > In which case:
> > > 1. You would have no objection to me building a windows installer, and us
> > > hosting it on emu?
> >
> > If you mean "using emu to distribute it on the mirror network" that's
> > fine by me; If you really mean distributing a xxMB file from emu it's
> > not.
>
> Obviously using the mirror network.

Fine then :)

> > > 2. We should move the process of building and signing the installer off
> emu to
> > > my computer (and yours if you still want to build them). Each person able
> > > build an installer should have a separate certificate derived from the
> master
> > > key, listing both their name and the Freenet Project Inc.
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > Agreed? Implementing the latter in a cleanroom fashion will require that
> > > have some idea how to build the installer, it's a somewhat convoluted
> process
> > > to get it set up
> >
> > Checkout, do "ant"; what's convoluted exactly?
>
> You need izPack and the launcher binaries in various places iirc ...

Yes, you need your copy of izPack. Building the online installer is
straightforward... building the offline one is a bit trickier as you've
to "tell" the installer where the required packs are.

[snip.]

> > I'm not arguing we should invest $ into getting a signed certificate. I
> > am sure we have professional developers here who do have a valid,
> > trusted certificate.
>
> Whom we can trust? Such as?

I don't think it's a matter of trust here; well, I don't know; I do have
one for instance and I'm sure we could find others if we asked.

Would anyone reading this mailing list volunteer to build and sign one
of our installers?