On Apr 22, 2009, at 7:48 PM, Matthew Toseland wrote:

> It has recently come to our attention that the problem with data
> persistence
> is usually that the top block has fallen out or that the few nodes
> with the
> block are never online at the same time as the person who wants to
> fetch it.
> Hence we need to duplicate the top block. So far there have been two
> schemes:
> 1) Duplicate the top block with SSKs:
> 2) CHKs with extra routing keys:
> key>,<extra>
>
> Neither of these schemes is acceptable IMHO. The former allows for
> an attacker
> to insert different content to different keys, and get some info about
> targets that way, and it is non-convergent, not allowing for
> reinserts. The
> latter doubles the length of the already way too long CHKs.
>
> I propose a new key type which is convergent, has URIs shorter than
> existing
> CHKs, and any number of duplicate blocks: the Content Multiplication
> Key (for
> want of a better name, alternatives are welcome).

Perhaps there is an easier solution?

How about extending the chk logic into an alternate-chk-key (ACK?);
that simply adds 0.25 to the expected location (for routing and
storage).

So when you insert the top block, put it in as a chk and an ack (no
extra uri's neccesary). When you go to fetch it, if the chk does not
work, try the ack variant of the same key.

--
Robert Hailey