On Saturday 09 May 2009 17:57:41 gu...@gmx.org wrote:
> Interesting discussion from Frost, especially the last post at the bottom.
Its about WoTs in general and why they won't work.

2009-04-05 at 01:31:54GMT -------

jezr...@pbxwgrdegrigwuteoz3tc6cfla2xu3trmi2tgr2enfrvi4bxkzlectshfvyw2wcxkrffslccijku4z2om5gtoojrpzdfcolkovtdawjuifigkrcqjbevsvrnla2xotcdpfvw6lkmkzzsyqkrifbucqkf.freemail

> ;))
>
> ----- VolodyA! V a...@r0pa7z7ja1haf2xttt7aklre+yw ----- 2009.04.11 -
12:11:26GMT -----

> I should point out i do not hate falafel, i do not know him. I do hate what
he is doing to Freenet, however. If he was to stop supporting intruduction of
censorship on Freenet i would not say anything bad about him.

> In fact i tend to agree with much of what he has to say on other subjects.
>
> --
> May all the sentient beings benefit from our conversation.
>
> ----- denmin...@dlkkaikia79j4ovpbgfk4znh25y ----- 2009.04.14 -
16:13:07GMT -----

> Falafel is doing nothing. If a single guy can make the protocol not work,
then the protocol is shitty from the start and we need to write a new one.

> ----- Anonymous ----- 2009.04.14 - 20:46:59GMT -----
>
> The only shit around here is spewing from the mouths of those who don't
understand how it works.  No one can stop you from seeing what you want to
see.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is spreading misinformation.

> ----- luke...@ch4jcmdc27eeqm9cw_wvju+coim ----- 2009.05.04 -
01:01:46GMT -----

> No one can really censor FMS alright, BUT there IS a problem with
those 'censored trust lists' anyway.
> The existance of censored trust lists forces users to actively maintain
their own trust lists, the WoT wont work 'on its own' as it would if everyone
used it the way it's supposed to.

> Let me try to explain: if everyone used wot to block flood attacks and
nothing else, new users wouldnt need to try and find out which trust lists
are 'good', they wouldnt need to work on thir trust lists for hours every
day, try to spot censors or "guys who wont block pedos", they could simply
use FMS and occasianlly set a high trust for someone they actually trust, or
lower the trust for someone they caught spamming

> But the current situation makes FMS a pain in the ass. Users have to work on
your trust lists regularly, and new users risk (and probably do) to have some
of the content blocked by some censor because the guy posted one message on a
board that the censor found 'immoral'.

> It may take time until the new user figures out which trust lists to use,
and there's a very real risk that he would think that it isnt worth the
hassle and give up on FMS completely.
> I did that, others did that, and more will.
>
> THAT is the real problem with the Little Brothers, not their non-existent
ability to censor content. they cant censor anything and they know it. But
they can and do make FMS a pain in the ass to use.

> Another problem is that, assuming that the fms community will survive (which
i dontthink it will), it my end up split into a number of closed
sub-communities that refuse to talk to each other. But this is only a guess,
so far. We'll have to see how it turns out.

> In the meantime, making FMS into a PITa has been done already, that is why
FMS is as good as dead, and that's why I think that invesiting develpers'
time and effort into WoT and Freetalk is a huge waste: FMS failed because of
human stupidity and arrogance, and so will Freetalk/WoT, and I really cant
understand why the devs cant see the obvious (or refuse to admit it)

> BTW, I dont hate Falafel. Hate costs energy. A lot of it.

The devs don't care because there are no practical alternatives, and because I
at least don't use FMS, since nobody I trust has reviewed it, and it can't be
bundled so I won't. However, evanbd's work on positive trust is worth
considering, see my other email.