On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:57:56 +0100
Matthew Toseland <t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 19 July 2009 03:01:15 Jonas Bengtsson wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 12:46:06 +0100
> > Matthew Toseland <t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:

> > > Yes, we need a separate, but related, data structure for events, see
> > > below. Events are important, it is worth putting the effort in, they will
> > > be visible through the system tray icon and probably on individual pages
> > > too (along with some per-page events such as detecting a more recent
> > > version of a page).

> > > IMHO a UserEvent is more like a UserAlert than a ClientEvent. We should
> > > have UserEvent inherit from UserAlert, and should have some class or
> > > method by which we can post a UserEvent, with a flag indicating whether
> > > to also register it as a (dismissable) UserAlert. Many existing
> > > UserAlert's can simply be changed to UserEvent's. However, some alerts
> > > are actually alerts whose content can change substantially, and these
> > > will need to have subsidiary events. I don't think you should necessarily
> > > implement events for every dynamic user-alert across the code, it would
> > > probably be more efficient if you just build the infrastructure, convert
> > > the alerts which are obviously events, and implement one or two proof of
> > > concept's. I can do the rest, later on.
> > >
> > > The obvious proof of concept is the download complete alert/event. Right
> > > now this is essentially an event, but it would be good to make the
> > > current alerts into events, and add a new alert which just says N
> > > downloads succeeded. This code is towards the end of QueueToadlet.
> > > Another possible proof of concept is the freenet-is-bootstrapping alert
> > > (in Announcer); there should be an end alert for that, something like
> > > "Freenet has successfully connected to 10 nodes, it should work now but
> > > may be slow for a while".
> >
> > I have commited code that allows events to be registered with the
> > UserAlertMangager. An event is a UserAlert that has a isEvent-function
> > that returns true. At the moment there is both a isEventNotification and
> > the new isEvent-function. These are similar and might be merged, or one
> > of the should at least change name.
> >
> > The difference between an event and an alert is that only that
> > last event of a certain type is displayed, even if several events of
> > that type have been registered. The UserAlertManager uses a map from
> > the class-name to the latest registed event. When an event is
> > registered the current event is replaced with the new one and a
> > message is sent to FCP-subscribers.
> >
> > This works well for the events created by the Announcer. The content of
> > the alert on the alerts-page only depends on the last event registered,
> > the information from all previous events can be discarded.
> >
> > A more complex type of event is the one that is registered when a
> > ClientRequest completes. The UserAlert doesn't only contain information
> > from the last event, instead it contains a summary of all previous
> > registed events since the alert was last dismissed. To achieve this
> [...]

Aren't the events registered in a chronological order? For
ClientRequests the requests that are finished first is registered
first. Wouldn't it be simple to add logging code to the
register-function? Exactly what do you mean with a chronological event
log?

There is also one extra complication that I haven't dealt with yet,
what it means for an event to be unregistered. An ordinary UserAlert
is added once and it may also be unregistered once. An event may be
registered several times, but only the latest event is display. If the
event is unregistered the next event registered will be displayed. For
the Announcer this means that if the user dismisses the latest
annoucement-event, tha next announcement-event registered will still be
displayed. There should be to different ways to unregister an event.
One would stop all future registered events of the type from
being displayed. The other would only removes the latest registered
event, future registed events are not stoped.

A solution to this would be to remove the isEvent()-function and
create a subinterface UserEvent of UserAlert. The UserEvent-interface
could have the function:
boolean unregisterIndefinatly()
that returns true if no future registered events should be displayed if
the event is unregistered. The UserAlertManager could use a Set to keep
track of which events have been indefinatly unregistered. Is this a
good solution the the problem of what it means for an event to be
unregistered?