On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:41 AM, <bren...@artvote.com> wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:57:28 -0500
> From: Ian Clarke <i...@locut.us>
> Subject: Re: [freenet-dev] Installer file name
> To: Discussion of development issues <devl@freenetproject.org>
>
> Brendan,
>
> The 4 digit number would, in most products, be an internal build
> number. The problem with Freenet is that we do extremely frequent
> releases, and to distinguish between them requires a rather large
> number :-)
>
> We do also do infrequent major releases, like 0.7.5 - however in
> practice there are many many intermediate releases.
>
> I'm certainly wide open to ideas about an alternative nomenclature.
>
> Ian.
>
> <--
> Just curious, whom exactly does the 4 digit number benefit? Do users care
> about this number? And if so why? (Sorry if these are dumb questions. Just
> trying to wrap my head around the issue:)
> -Brendan

It's the build number.  Basically a different style of version number.
 There are frequent updates that increment the build number, and
occasional updates that change the version number (eg 0.7.5 -> 0.8.0).
 Version numbers can be thought of as just a name for a specific
build.  Users care because Freenet does mandatory updates relatively
frequently -- nodes won't talk to any node older than the most recent
mandatory update.  So if you install an outdated build, it won't be
able to connect properly (the update over mandatory code should let it
update itself and then start working, but it's less than ideal).

Evan Daniel