Top 5 items on Uservoice:

1) One GUI for all (263 votes)

IMHO integrating Freetalk and FlogHelper will go a long way towards satisfying
people who voted for this, although the original poster wants a dedicated
browser thingy.

2) Write a killer file-sharing application (232 votes)

IMHO there are a number of issues here:
- Current data persistence sucks. We are working on it and need to do more work
on it.
- It is relatively hard to search for files. We need a good WoT-based spamproof
fast file search system.
- General demand from many folks for insert on demand. Maybe it worked on
Frost, maybe it didn't, but Frost is dead. The main advantages of insert on
demand are 1) that you can "share" a directory immediately, 2) you don't need
to wait for the insert, 3) the set of available data, or available data at a
given speed, is larger. I am skeptical, there are several problems with it
(trust, security, different views of "network pollution" ...), but in any case
improving data persistence and making it easy to search for files are both
important, and once we have these we can consider insert on demand. And there
*are* options for relatively safe reinsert on demand, although they are messy...

Or am I being unduly dogmatic and long-termist here? Maybe a simple WoT-based
file search and share and reinsert on demand system would gain us so many more
users that we should do it anyway, even if insert on demand is risky and not
necessary long term?

This does rely on distributed searching, and it could be a while ...

3) Add a "pause" feature (188 votes)

This might actually be partly due to the frequently fixed and re-broken
"Freenet doesn't restart after I change IP address / my laptop sleeps / etc"
bug. We need to fix that ASAP.

It is also closely related to the general fact that it takes quite some time
for a node to get up to speed on opennet after it's been down for a while. I
have several ideas about how to improve that. We need to make Freenet more
low-uptime-friendly, even if that means using unreasonable levels of data
redundancy.

It is also closely related to the system tray icon. We have one on Windows, we
will soon have one on Mac, once we have both I will write one for Linux.

But the specific demand is that we have some means for the node to "pause" its
connections, so that it can get them back quickly. There has been much debate
on this on IRC, lists and the bug tracker, it is probably possible and is
related to some others ...

Other options include just cutting the bandwidth limit or turning off the
client layer etc.

4) use the port 80,443,53,1863 for comunication (171 votes)

Remains remarkably popular!

There are some simple options such as using popular UDP ports, but any serious
progress is going to require a TCP transport plugin, and probably an HTTP one
as well, maybe with multiplexing support for smaller web servers. SSL would be
nice too. Of course these will only work when port forwarding works - but it
does work a lot of the time. In any case, this requires transport plugins,
which are quite feasible but may well be a largish amount of work.

5) Implement reinsert on demand (169 votes)

See the item on filesharing above! Since Frost has been largely abandoned,
there is a major gap for filesharing it seems...

6) Chat (108 votes)

Included because #5 and #2 duplicate each other.

The originator sees this as real-time.

digger3 is working on a prototype of real time chat over Freenet, which may be
extended to microblogging. He says lag is 10-30 sec and can be lowered
considerably by relatively small network changes...