On Wednesday 03 February 2010 19:16:56 Matthew Toseland wrote:
> We have SSL certs for https://downloads and https://emu. The update scripts
> use these if sha1test.jar doesn't exist or is too out of date i.e. if the
> install is a relatively old one and hasn't been updated with the script in
> a while. We only have 2 IP addresses at the moment, and SSL domains need a
> dedicated IP address (unless you have a wildcard cert, which we can't
> afford). Do we want to ask for another 2 IP addresses for https://downloads
> and https://emu ? IMHO https://downloads might conceivably be useful, but
> https://emu would be likely purely for purposes of compatibility with old
> update scripts.
>
> Extra IP addresses cost a very small amount, and we know how to set them
> up, so I guess that would be the easiest solution?
>
> The old update.cmd from the java installer uses:
> http://downloads.freenetproject.org/alpha/installer/sha1test.jar
> (This is not a problem)
> The old update.sh from the java installer uses:
> https://emu.freenetproject.org/sha1test.jar
> (This IS a problem)
> The old update.cmd from the windows installer uses:
> https://downloads.freenetproject.org/alpha/installer/sha1test.jar
> (This is also a problem)
>
> All of these have been updated to
> http[s]://checksums.freenetproject.org/latest/sha1test.jar
>
> How important is it to support old update.sh / update.cmd ? And is it worth
> having https://downloads.freenetproject.org/ for its own sake?

Well, the easiest way of answering this question was if you told us when the
update-script was changed to work with the current situation. This is probably
a matter of reading the commit history / file dates?

If 3 month old scripts won't work then we should fix it. If 1 year old scripts
will still work then its okay to forget about the older scripts...