So, the wrapper works correctly on 64bit?  I was under the impression 64bit
wasn't supported?

On Mar 9, 2010 5:11 AM, "Christian Funder Sommerlund" <li...@zero3.dk>
wrote:

Hi all

It seems like there is a bit of confusion about the Windows Installer's "Did
not respond to signal" errors, so I'd like to explain what it means, and
hopefully clear up any misunderstandings.

--- What happens? ---

The error is thrown in a messagebox to the user when the Freenet Starter
(the platform glue that handles UAC elevation and sends the start signal to
the service) detects that the wrapper fails during startup (technically: the
service status goes from STARTING -> STOPPED instead of STARTING ->
RUNNING).

This doesn't really have anything to do with the installer, as all of these
failures happen in the wrapper. The installer is, however, nice enough to
tell the user that the wrapper startup failed. In the next version, I will
clarify the error messsage and ask the user to look at wrapper.log for more
information instead.

--- So why does the wrapper fail? ---

If wrapper.log contains only the line:

STATUS | wrapper | 2009/10/30 17:16:22 | Freenet background service
installed.

... it means that the wrapper (when it had admin permissions) succeeded in
installing the service. The lack of any more lines suggests that the wrapper
(and thereby the LocalService account) is missing read/write permissions to
the installation folder. We explicitly give this out during installation, so
this shouldn't happen. However, various sources suggest that this sometimes
fails, but nobody has been able to reproduce or help me debug it. I'm
constantly trying to work with reporters, but they have a tendency to
disappear just as quickly as they arrive.

Besides the case mentioned above, every other report seems to be random
stuff. I've seen:

- One error about the user missing read access to the Java files (which you
obviously should have if you want to run Java software)

- One about the node being too slow to start (and thereby being killed by
the Windows service system)

- One about a user manually moving the datastore but not giving the service
permissions to write to the new location

- One case where reinstallation fixed the issue

- One where the user's system was so messed up that he couldn't even access
the Windows event viewer

- One where the LocalService account has lost parts of its registry access
to normal Windows keys

We could technically check for some of the above issues and warn the user
before installation, but I'm afraid that they will just keep coming  around
in new flavors. If the user's system is messed up, anything can happen
really...

Note that I cannot reproduce any of these myself. I've tried numerous times
on XP, Vista and Win7 machines (32 + 64 bit) without any luck.

--- Reporting the bug ---

I appreciate that people are submitting failures to
https://bugs.freenetproject.org/view.php?id=3624 - but I cannot do much
about them without the proper information. Please see
http://new-wiki.freenetproject.org/Installing_on_Windows#Service_did_not_respond_to_signal
.

--- The old installer ---

I have no idea why some (toad!?!) are recommending people to use the old
Java installer, but I'd like to seriously recommend you *not* to do so.

It will *not* work on Vista and Win7 because it does not handle UAC
elevation in any way. It might work on XP, but has several big privacy flaws
(it will leave lots of traces that the uninstaller won't remove) and uses
the clumsy custom freenet user, besides not having been maintained for
years.

Please understand that this is nothing personal against the previous
maintainer(s). I'm only concerned about not messing up our users' systems.

- Zero3