On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Matthew Toseland
<t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> I have to switch Mantis from packaged to directly installed:
> - Mantis 1.2.0 contains critical bug fixes including remote admin and
> cross-site scripting vulnerabilities capable of capturing plaintext passwords.
> - Mantis 1.1 is officially unmaintained.
> - Mantis does not appear to ask for CVE's, so the issues are not taken
> seriously by Debian and therefore by Ubuntu.
> - The package in Ubuntu is Mantis 1.1.8.
> - Ubuntu and Debian have not patched these issues. There are no bugs filed
> for them either.
>
> Plus, Mantis is written in php, which has had many vulnerabilities and is
> likely to continue having many vulnerabilities, at least in nextgens' view.
> However half of the web is written in php and presumably the distributions do
> deal with such vulnerabilities promptly.
>
> Last time I checked there were many options for third party hosting of
> mantis, including upgrading it for us, unfortunately none of them (certainly
> none of the free ones) would allow us to import our existing bugs.
>
> A related point is that only a relatively small proportion of users actually
> report bugs on the bug tracker. However, closing it off would increase the
> barrier to entry for new developers.
>
> As I see it our options are:
> - Keep Mantis, install it and upgrade it by hand.
> - Keep Mantis and restrict its use to registered developers.
> - Switch to something else.
>
> Most likely we will stick to the first option.

I think there is an important set of power users who like to look at
bug trackers and might occasionally report a bug there, and might one
day become devs (and are certainly useful to have around regardless!).
 So I think making the bug tracker inaccessible to them is very bad.

Switching to something else is a pain, and we haven't managed to agree
on what to switch to before.

So I like the first option, for now.  We can revisit as needed.

Evan Daniel