On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Spencer Jackson
<spencerandrewjack...@gmail.com> wrote:
> tOn Sat, May 8, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Matthew Toseland
> <t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday 08 May 2010 05:09:07 Evan Daniel wrote:

>> > Do attributes without content still get written?  Is that always
>> > valid?  Not writing them isn't always valid; see eg bug 4125: current
>> > code happily removes required attributes from <meta> tags, thus
>> > breaking valid pages.
>

> Odd. I'm looking at the code for MetaTagVerifier, and I can't see any code
> branches in which, if the 'content' attribute is defined, it is failed to be
> added to the LinkedHashMap unless nothing else is added either... I'm not on
> my home computer, so I'll have to test this tomorrow. Does it happen to all
> exist, but be empty? I could alter MetaTagVerifier to return null if this is
> the case, and remove the tag from the final output. Would that fix this?

As mentioned in the other reply, the content filter alters my flog from

I haven't done a detailed analysis of why.

>> > Depending how much cleaning of the HTML filtering system you want to
>> > do...  Has using something like JTidy ( http://jtidy.sourceforge.net/
>> > ) been discussed?  That way you wouldn't have to worry about what's
>> > valid or invalid HTML, merely the security aspects of valid HTML that
>> > are unique to Freenet.
>
> That might be nice... but wouldn't we have the same problem in that it would
> be hard to diff the output of the filter against the input for debugging
> purposes? What do other people think about this? It would make life much
> easier...

I don't see why it would be a problem.  I haven't used tidy much,
honestly.  I don't see how to make it stop changing line breaks and
such in my page.  However, I don't mind running it locally before
inserting, so that nothing changes when the filter runs it.  I don't
need the filter to never change anything; I just need to know what to
do so that I can get a diff that shows only the changes made by the
filter.  If I need to run tidy on the original, and then diff that vs
the filtered output, that's fine by me.

And anything that makes the filtering more robust and less work is a
big win, imho.

Evan Daniel