> For example, we could make 1) more difficult if, any time we see two peers
> in the came class-B address range, we disconnect from both of them, or at
> least never route anything to either of them.

Restricting the amount of connections from an IP subnet is definitely something
which should be implemented.

However this might screw up performance because it might lead to people being
only connected to peers which are long-distance in terms of the Internet....
In the worst case you will only have peers from another country because some
countries have quasi-monopolistic ISP structures: For example in Germany there
is a large variety of ISPs but many of them use the backbones of the former
federal phone company which was converted to a private company less than two
decades ago and therefore still has the best infrastructure....

Therefore, it should probably only be enabled with the "NORMAL" security
level... and it should be investigated how it behaves in practice.

One useful measurement for that would be obtaining a "IP => Country" map and
displaying a country flag next to each peer, then even non-Freenet-engineers
could figure out whether their node is well connected.

Further, I propose an additional and easier to implement improvement against
this attack: Provide a configuration option "Do not connect to strangers from
my country" which prevents Opennet connections to peers from the same
country...
- Attackers are very likely to be from the same country, both federal and
commercial ones.