On Sunday 09 Oct 2011 15:34:31 Dirk Bruere wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am involved in a Zero State:
> http://zerostate.net
>
> Given that what we talk about, and intend to do, is not legal in
> several jurisdictions and that we have an international membership I
> have been thinking about the possibility of a Freenet based ZS
> intranet.
> However, the problem that hit several of us almost instantly was that
> people have to be quite technically knowledgeable to set it up
> correctly, and we cannot depend on every member having the necessary
> skills, or time.
>
> What I am looking for is a one click solution ie someone goes to our
> site, click a link, and then if they approve the installation it all
> goes ahead with a browser icon on the desktop for them to log in to
> our site on Freenet.
> So, they need know nothing about node IDs,  security levels etc
>
> Does anything like this exist?

Okay, the basic obstacles here:

1. If people are expecting to have their computers seized, it is essential to
encrypt Freenet, encrypt anything downloaded from Freenet, encrypt media files
stored on the hard disk, encrypt swap etc. This is somewhat nontrivial to do
automatically and quickly, although bundling a browser can solve some of the
problems, and it is possible on recent windows's to turn on swap encryption
quickly and easily.

2. Freenet in opennet mode is not terribly secure. In fact it provides a false
sense of security, and a relatively weak attacker can trace some posters
(depending on their usage patterns). But in darknet mode it needs Friends.

3. Bandwidth autodetection doesn't always work. It would of course be possible
to go with a low default if UPnP doesn't figure one out. Occasionally somebody
would run it on their 10GB-a-month cheapo ISP and get stuck with either a huge
bill or their internet being frozen, and this creates bad publicity.

4. A large enough proportion of users object to anything just grabbing 10% of
their disk space. "WHAT THE **** IT IS USING 20GB ALREADY???!?!?!?!". Again
this creates negative feeling etc, which can be damaging, and particularly
offends more technical users. On the other hand, if you have a simple/advanced
toggle...

5. Freenet runs in the background all the time. Performance is substantially
improved by doing so, but it is quite heavy both on bandwidth and hardware.

Some of this can be streamlined into a basic choice followed by a minimum of
questions. We have achieved a great deal with the wizard by asking only for
high vs low security, but need to do more. However, for Freenet itself, we
cannot get rid of ALL the questions.

A custom package for a third party project could however do more.

Minor note: The "Node id|<number>" thing is actually a randomly generated name.
The next build will no longer include it on the pages' titles. You only need a
name if you have Friends.