On Thursday 16 February 2012 19:12:52 Florent Daigniere wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Should Freenet take part to Google Summer of Code 2012?

Yes.

> Is anyone motivated to mentor candidates?

Yes. me.

Project suggestion:
Have a student do NOTHING but reviewing FRED code from the entry point on.
He should JavaDoc everything which he reviews, fix any bugs which he spots
while doing it, and refactor unclean code.
Ideally, toad would mentor this student.

IMHO this is CRITICAL for the survival of the project as a whole:
- Most code has only been reviewed by toad as he wrote most of it
- It has little to no JavaDoc
- Its quality is questionable in quite a few places. To be fair I should say
that I did not read much of FREDs code, but when I read some of it, I almost
always encountered functions which fill multiple screens and violate lots of
best practices of programming / software engineering.
- We see little effort of volunteers writing code for FRED which might be
caused by the poor readability / documentation.
- We might need another / replacement full time programmer as toad is busy
with university
- In general, FRED seems rather buggy right now, and reviewing might fix that.
- The probability of toad or a volunteer suddenly doing a full review of fred
is very low, so we should try to get someone to do it by rewarding it with
money as a GSoC project
- I could go on and on about this, but I think I've made my point already.

Greetings, xor