On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:11:19PM -0600, Daxter wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2012, at 15:37, Evan Daniel <eva...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Florent Daigniere
> > <nextg...@freenetproject.org>
> >>
> >> I was wondering, do we have any good reason not to switch the various
> >> websites to HTTPS only? (with a 301 redirect on HTTP)
> >
> > I'm in favor of https only. The only real arguments against it are
> > probably server cpu load. I assume that given our traffic levels,
> > that's not likely to be an issue?
> >
> > Evan Daniel
>
> I'm all for HTTPS, but do we really want to outright *remove* functionality
> from the site? Sure, HTTP isn't secure and all "modern" web browsers support
> it. However, we would be making it harder for people to learn about Freenet
> and potentially try it out.

Why? You could still access it over HTTP... and be presented with (transparent)
redirect to the secure version.

> In the end I think we should do what every major website does today: encrypt
> the important data and let the entire site be accessible securely, but don't
> force it onto people.
>
> -Daxter

It's very difficult to do and most websites do it wrong. You have to think
about mixed-content errors, cookie flags, ...

Sending credentials in cleartext like we do on the wikis, with no secure
alternative, is a disgrace.

Florent