On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Matthew Toseland
<t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 01 Sep 2011 15:29:35 Evan Daniel wrote:

>> > Do you have a metric for how clustered vs uniform a node's peers are?
>>
>> Maybe. It's a tougher problem than it looks at first glance, unless we
>> have a somewhat reliable network size estimate available. I'll give it
>> some more thought.
>>
>> If you want a qualitative, visual estimate, just change the peer
>> location distribution graph on the stats page to have a logarithmic x
>> axis. Basically, a node should have similar numbers of peers at
>> distance 0.25 < d <= 0.5, and at 0.125 < d <= 0.25, etc. That is, bar
>> n should graph the number of nodes at distance 2^(-n-2) < d <
>> 2^(-n-1). That doesn't provide an answer you can use in code to
>> evaluate and make decisions, but it should give better anecdotal
>> evidence about problems.
>
> So you/operhiem1 plan to do something with this now we have probe requests?

Yes, though probably not immediately.

>> > What's MHMC?
>>
>> Metropolis-Hastings Monte Carlo. We currently use it to get the right
>> probability distribution for location swaps.
>
> Do we? I thought the walks were purely random, and the probability of
> swapping was based solely on a comparison between the distances before and
> after?

Absolutely. It's the mathematical technique used to prove that both
the path folding algorithm of opennet and the location swapping
algorithm of darknet will produce the desired results. The fact that
the formulas used in those proofs don't appear in the Freenet source
code is irrelevant, except that it contributes to Freenet code being
difficult to understand.

Evan Daniel