On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Matthew Toseland <
t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 31 Jan 2013 17:50:32 Michael Grube wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Ian Clarke <i...@freenetproject.org>
> wrote:
> > > This is despite the fact that no such compromise as ever occurred on
> any
> > > project that I'm aware of, and since we don't do code audits of
> Freenet's
> > > current dependencies, our current approach doesn't immunize us against
> it
> > > anyway.
>
> Have you actually tried to find out?

If by "try" you mean a quick
Google<https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=maven%20repository%20compromise&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=eba5ecb19bdd79c3&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.b2I&biw=1371&bih=983>search,
then yes.

If we run our own repository:
> - We need to maintain it. This is more unnecessary work.

Not a lot, probably less than dealing with the freenet-ext.jar mess.

> - We need to host it. This is more CPU usage on the small, cheap, rather
> limited VM that runs the website etc.

It won't use significant CPU or bandwidth, only developers will access it,
and Maven caches dependencies locally.

> But most importantly, we need it to be reasonably easy to *develop Freenet
> anonymously*. This is not a theoretical aspiration. There are anonymous
> developers today, and some of them are extremely productive at times.

They can use a Tor proxy.

> Exactly what problem are you trying to solve here? It's really not that
> hard to build Freenet. Granted it should be easier; the immediate problem
> is you need not only freenet-ext.jar (which the build scripts will fetch
> for you if you set one line in a config file; the first time you run ant it
> will tell you this), but also the bouncycastle jar, which isn't
> auto-fetched.

I'm trying to bring us into 2013, Maven is virtually a standard Java tool
these days.  freenet-ext.jar has to be built, has to be kept up-to-date.
It's basically an ugly home-grown dependency management solution.
 Originally there were no alternatives, but now there are, and there are
easy solutions to the problems that you've outlined with it.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke
Personal blog: http://blog.locut.us/