On Saturday 02 Mar 2013 18:31:17 Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Matthew Toseland <t...@amphibian.dyndns.org
> > wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 02 Mar 2013 16:13:08 Ian Clarke wrote:
> > > Would any of you be willing to volunteer to take care of the
> > administrative
> > > side of Summer of Code?  I don't think it is too onerous but someone
> > should
> > > be in charge of ensuring that forms get filled out, etc.
> > >
> > > Matthew, could you summarize what this would involve?
> >
> > Mostly bugging mentors, some form filling.
> >
> > It is *ESSENTIAL* that we have FULL CONTACT DETAILS for each mentor. We
> > need them to fill in the forms. If a mentor disappears the org admin will
> > have to fill the forms in. Doing an adequate job in such circumstances
> > probably isn't possible, and would require such a large time commitment as
> > to be unrealistic - even for me. But not filling them in at all means
> > aggravating Google, which is also very bad...
> >
> > In the worst case this can involve a huge amount of work and a huge amount
> > of stress. In the best case it's minimal.
>
> Are you willing to do this Matthew?  I knew you were worried about some
> poorly timed exams….

Hmmm, they have shifted the dates forward somewhat. That makes it feasible. It
simply becomes a question of whether it's a good use of project resources. If I
don't have to mentor I guess it's not a big deal. Though last year I
effectively mentored chetan last year - but he's still around and contributing,
and his code should get merged in the coming months, so that's a success story.

For a student who is contributing to a branch on the core code, I should
probably keep track of what they are doing anyway. For a more peripheral
project like Infocalypse, I'm not really competent even as a backup mentor, so
we'll just have to hope the mentor doesn't disappear. If we have phone numbers
we probably won't have the hideous mess than Evan dumped us in two years ago. ;)

The ranking period is early may, which is a good month before my exams. This is
over quite quickly and I plan to leave ranking mostly to the mentors anyway.