On Thursday 04 Apr 2013 06:17:06 irfan mir wrote:
> > Wow! That's impressive compatibility.
>
> Thank you. As in with the modern browser support or about the potentiality
> for IE6+ support?

I wouldn't worry too much about IE6. As soon as they finish installing they'll
get a warning telling them to use another browser; MIME type issues mean old IE
is a problem for Freenet. Plus they're probably on a non-updated pirate copy of
Windows, so hopelessly insecure. Of course if you can be compatible with IE6
that's a good thing, as long as it's not enormously costly maintenance-wise.

> Thanks to standards, developing for modern browsers isn't horrible, unless
> one visits vendor-prefix-hell.
> But Mozilla is now having unprefixed CSS work in Firefox and, with the
> recent announcement of Blink to power Chrome and Opera instead of Webkit,
> Chrome and Opera will too.
>
> The support in legacy / old IE is thanks to JQuery. There are some JS
> polyfills that I am loading in IE 8 and below so that the CSS3 I am using
> works there.
>
> > What I was thinking is that while the questions are about security
> (and other) settings, they are asked instead of an explicit selection
> of low / normal / high (network|physical) security levels.
>
> In the current workflow, I have it be questions that result in a certain
> security level being selected, based on the answer to the questions, and
> then the security preferences inputted in input fields underneath the
> selected security level.
>
> > Do these questions seem reasonable?
>
> Yes, they do to me. Thank you for explaining them. Although, as I mentioned
> in my reply to Paulo's email— 2, maybe 3 questions seem to be the
> sweet-spot from a usability standpoint.
>
> >To be clear, the way I'm thinking of this it would be a single page (and
> a single step - after these the first run setup is complete) with the
> four questions.
>
> Yes, I have it setup so this all takes place in a single page with
> different 'panels'. The first being the questions, the second being the
> selected security level and area to input settings, and the third being a
> confirmation that the setup is complete.

Unfortunately bandwidth and disk space are things we more or less have to ask
about, or people become very unhappy. But we can have sane defaults most of the
time.

I'd be in favour of only asking about passwords if "do you know somebody using
freenet" is true, or not asking at all and maybe having an alert later on.