Hi,

The transport plugin code from chetan is slowly bitrotting in the
chetan-transports branch. When trying to merge it into next, there are
already merge conflicts, but it does not look serious (just some
parameter changes). I did not have the time to fix them, though - it
would have sent me on a longer bughunt due to insufficient java
skills.

Toad said back then, that the refactoring needed for transport plugins
actually made the network code much nicer.

And I remember chetan posting that he had two transport-plugin-enabled
nodes talking to each other.

To avoid losing that great work, it would be important to get it
merged quickly. Bitrot only gets worse if it is ignored.

I don’t know whether StreamTransports were already in a usable state,
but I would much prefer having only packet transports for the time
being than having no transport plugins at all.

You can find the current code here
https://github.com/freenet/fred-staging/tree/chetan-transports

Sadly I did not find the example plugin - the one on github only has a
readme: https://github.com/chetanhosmani/plugin-UDP-staging (same on
the next branch)

Most new java classes should be referenced here:
https://github.com/freenet/fred-staging/blob/chetan-transports/src/freenet/node/TransportManager.java

It would be really, really cool if someone could step up and
review+merge the code!

Best wishes,
Arne