Hi Matthew,

I just saw you peek into #freenet-chat and ask what’s happening. Are you up to
date on the meltdown?

If not (I did not see a post about this on devl):

- http://draketo.de/english/freenet/meltdown-2014-04
-
http://127.0.0.1:8888/USK@zqoqAGuQJ1k-gsnu1ezE61hUtRsm52JLFUZHs0FjGuE,89hzii6qISaktLFkC0mZI-Y5ZQHBs3yZW6J5yv3OiOs,AQACAAE/Freenet_Meltdown/0

There is a freenet patch floating around which claims to increase performance.
The reality is (to our current-knowledge), that it breaks the network as soon
as more than a few percent run it. And this is the case, which is why the
network is almost completely broken right now.

Performance is down far enough that xkcd does not load for me on first try
(only by setting manual download).

So yes: Somethings up. Freenet is experiencing the chain reaction and resulting
meltdown due to not getting incentives right: Treacherous nodes with the
kittiporn-patch still get very good performance. A file I uploaded a few days
earlier only managed to finish 78% of 34MiB in half a day, while it loaded
really well for someone with a patched freenet:

-
http://127.0.0.1:8888/CHK@iLrPNp4WzQFYk71A5sBleJSSOiMtKytT0T~CrnMdy1c,d7kBdbwdiy8RUgz2vyNNKM6985xcnhDGUwMqQ8MQJs4,AAMC--8/Numba%20Python%20bytecode%20to%20LLVM%20translator-WYi1cymszqY.mp4

And from Thomas’ graphs and my own experience, this is a real emergency - in
which NLM would come in very handy…

And recently someone asked how to connect freenet via a university-internal FCP
library (⇒ science is coming in again).

Best wishes,
Arne
--