On Saturday, June 21, 2014 05:49:29 PM Florent Daigniere wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-06-21 at 15:12 +0200, Florent Daigniere wrote:
> > > So can we get rid of this, if only at least for WOT?
> >
> > What about you maintain a (single) repository under your userid on
> > github... and FPI has a single repository that a RM updates whenever
> > your code is deployed (pushing one of the signed tags from your
> > repository)?
>
> Updated proposal after talking about it on IRC:
>
> Each sub-project hosted by FPI has a "Maintainer"
> The sub-project's repositories are hosted under the FPI banner. The only
> person pushing to it is the Maintainer; stuff gets in through
> pull-requests when and in the order he says so. Fred's RM maintain push
> rights to the said repository but the convention is that they don't use
> them except to tag (and sign!) what they have reviewed/are shipping.
>
> In WoT and Freetalk's case (should you agree to it), you would be the
> Maintainer.
>
> Makes sense? Would you be happy with something like that? Obviously the
> repositories names would be stripped from -official and -staging.
>
> PS: there's at least 11 persons with push rights on WoT-staging atm,
> hence my reluctance to just rename it

Yes, I am fine with that. I've also checked plugin-Freetalk-official for
anything
which is not in -staging, and there is nothing, it is safe to delete.

If you do this for fred as well, it will have another advantage: Currently,
people have to rename the Eclipse project from "fred-staging" / "fred-official"
to "fred" after cloning it because otherwise projects such as WOT which
compile against it won't find it. If the fred repository was just called
"fred", that issue would be gone. But of course be careful to ensure that
nothing is lost as fred has a lot more branches and tags.

Summary of what to do so nothing gets mixed up:

- - For safety do backups:
$ git clone --mirror https://github.com/freenet/plugin-Freetalk-official.git
$ git clone --mirror https://github.com/freenet/plugin-WoT-official.git

- - Delete repository plugin-WoT-official
- - Delete repository plugin-Freetalk-official

- - Rename plugin-WoT-staging to plugin-WebOfTrust. The name is short enough
now
so we don't have to abbreviate it as "WoT".
- - Rename plugin-Freetalk-staging to plugin-Freetalk

- - Set me as maintainer of both, remove push access for everyone else except
Fred's maintainers.

Thanks for your help with this. I am confident that reducing maintenance
overhead is a good idea! :)