Ian already said he can't do it:

On Tuesday, September 08, 2015 03:11:42 PM Ian wrote:
> That sounds interesting, unfortunately I won't be able to do it (it would
> be a transatlantic trip), but hopefully someone can and we can track down
> whoever sent that message.

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:21:19 AM Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-09-09 at 01:02 +0000, Ian wrote:
> > > Arne, it would be really great if you could go, please let me know if
> > > there is anything I can do to help.
>
> Florent already forwarded the mail, which is the first thing :)
>
> Otherwise I think the most important part is getting in contact with
> them and asking them whether they would accept other representatives
> from the project.

It is perfectly reasonable for us to send someone who lives in Europe already
anyway instead of having someone travel from USA to EU:
Regular for-profit companies usually have local representatives, so do we -
which is nice! :)

I wouldn't even ask them whether thats OK, just tell them that we've decided
to send someone of our EU-contributors. Less questions to them, less work,
higher probability of in fact getting accepted (if the invitation wasn't a
definite one already anyway?).

And huge thanks for considering to attend, to both Florent and you.
You might want to ask them if they maybe even want two folks.

Please determine your travel costs early enough, so we can reserve some of the
remaining funds for that. Or maybe the EU-parliament even offers cost
compensation?