Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that people have focused on the
relatively  easy and relatively unimportant (in this stage of
development) improvement of logging mechanism. Fred's
System.out.println() usages are certainly not best practice, and at
this stage using it is easier (and also understandable) for the
reasons you mention.

Thank you for writing this! UPnP2 support will be great. I  hope we
can (after 1471 at least, if "we" resolves to "me") start reviewing
it, testing it, and getting it ready to replace the existing UPnP plugin
.

- - Steve

On Sat, Dec 26, 2015, 12:11 PM <x...@freenetproject.org> wrote:

Thanks a lot for providing the plugin!

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 09:05:35 PM Xiaoyu Huang wrote:
> System.out.println() is for easier debugging as I can see the
> results directly in wrapper.log.

The Logger logs (= freenet-latest.log) can be instantaneous as well,
as long
as you configure a short enough delay for flushing to disk:
1. Click "Switch to advanced mode" at the web interface's bottom
2. Change "Configuration / Logs / Max time between writing logs
(milliseconds)"

> I see many examples in Fred code that uses both Logger and
> println(). An example in NodeCrypto.java line around 136:

Ian is right: Please do not use println(), the Logger should be
preferred in
almost any case.
This allows developers to configure which kind of log entries they
would  like
to see, which is essential to debugging: If *all* logging of a node is
enabled, the logs will be so long that nobody can read them. So it is
important that it can be filtered, which only the Logger can